Monday, June 17, 2013

The Giving Tree

Today I signed up to become an affiliate with Amazon.  I'll be posting about some of my favorite children's books.  There will also be some ideas and freebies to go along with the books I recommend.  

I've chosen a book titled, The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein as my first one.  I've also picked a few other tree books to go along with The Giving Tree.  

The story begins with a young boy that makes friends with a tree.  The boy becomes a teenager, a young man, and later he becomes an elderly man advanced with age.  With the passage of time the boy has lost interest in the tree.  The tree merely serves as a thing to use and not something to love in the mind of the boy.  This saddens the tree.  This story has a touching ending with a sweet message about love and friendship.  In addition to the friendship message, the book teaches children about one of our planet's natural resources and its by-products.  It can be integrated with a lesson on seasonal changes in the environment for those living in the Northern Hemisphere and is an excellent book to use with sequencing story events.

Lessons by Molly © 2013  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment