Sunday, February 10, 2013

Valentine's Day Word Play

Generally speaking, word play is a concept that develops at the upper elementary level rather than the lower elementary age. Additionally, children's vocabulary range needs to be a gradation high enough to make sense of word play.   When the understanding of word play begins, their brains light up and they love it!  Valentine's Day cards for children certainly provide a wealth of material for having fun with corny, catchy, and cute phrases which were created by having fun with words.
It's just a few days away from Valentine's Day.  I am looking forward to the celebration with the children!  After my TpT shopping excursion last Sunday, I decided to do a little additional shopping.  This time it was a bricks and mortar store.  I got in the car and headed toward the nearby super store.  While I was there, I found some cute Valentine themed favors for the children.  I think I went a little overboard with the toys, but I made an exception and allowed the indulgence.  I made my other purchases and went home.  Normally, I use the pre-made cards you can find in stores but this year I made my own Valentine cards.  Being in a jovial mood, I started to engage in some word play and cooked up a few phrases to go with the goodies I bought. I spent most of Saturday morning assembling the Valentine's Day cards.  This involved cutting out the hearts and shapes with a shape cutter, writing the phrases and greetings, and taping the toys to the cards.  I could have sparkled up the hearts with some glitter glue but I needed to save the glitter glue for a sensory activity with the children instead.
First, I'll mention the little heart shaped mazes. Mazes can be found almost anywhere and any shaped maze will do for this. Originally I wrote, "I think you're aMAZEing!" Since I knew this was a spelling violation, I changed it.  I thought the misspelling of the word, might invite a teachable moment in class to review the spelling rule.  (Drop the "e" when adding "ing".)  But alas, a teacher must spell correctly so "You aMAZE me!" would have to do.

I used toy magnifying glasses in the second picture shown.  I placed a penny on the small heart cut-out and taped the magnifying glass on top.  It's important to put the tape all the way around the magnifying glass.  Otherwise, the penny will slip out.  I could have taped the pennies in place but I liked the movement when I wiggled the hearts and thought the children would like this as well.  For the magnifying glass hearts the phrase used is,  "I think you're MAGnifiCENT!"
"I think you're MAGnifi-CENT!"
There are so many things to do with words to make a fun and silly Valentine card.  How about a pretty seashell glittered up with the words, "SHELL we be friends?"  A small plastic fish could be taped in on a heart with the words, "You're the catch of the day, Valentine!"

What about you?  Have you created any catchy, corny, or cute Valentine phrases?  Please share them and . . . Happy Valentine's Day!
Lessons by Molly © 2013  All rights reserved.

8 comments:

  1. How cute are those valentines!! I will have to pin those for next year! I made the kids glow stick necklaces that said "You light up my classroom!" and we worked in the dark for most of the morning! My room was nearly silent all day because they wanted to be able to keep the lights off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how to make a glow stick necklace but I'm going to try to find out! Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Your valentine cards are great! Last year I took a picture of our class puppet (the dog "Happy" that comes with our Treasures reading program) and created cards with the photo. The students were so surprised to get a valentine from their friend, Happy!

    Sommer Pride

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! You personalized your Valentine's Day cards by using something the children are familiar with from classroom instruction. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  3. Those are so adorable and creative. Those are definitely Pinterest worthy. Plus, I love that those ideas really could be used anytime of year for your students. Sadly, I didn't have much creativity in me this year for the coming up with my own cute Valentine's Day stuff! I did find some conversation candy hearts in the Target Dollar spot, and I had my kids incorporate those into their writing. It turned out cute!

    Amy

    Common Core Teacher's Toolbox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Target Dollar spot! I'll bet the children enjoyed the conversation candy hearts writing activity you presented. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  4. Those are really cute! I love finding things in the dollar spot that I can put in the prize box!

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing Maria. I put the leftover, non-perishable treats from a seasonal celebration in the prize box as well.

      Delete