Friday, February 1, 2013

Valentine's Day Cards for the Classroom: Fun Phrases They'll Love

February is here!  Valentine's Day is just around the corner and I am looking forward to the celebration with the children.  How many years have children been exchanging Valentine's Day cards in the classroom?  It certainly is a nice opportunity for kids to experience reading with a real-to-life situation as they try to decipher the silly phrases on the Valentine's cards they've received from their classmates.  For the preschoolers and kindergartners, it's enough of a challenge for them to read their classmates' names when they pass out the cards.  Later on, the teacher is busy reading a zillion phrases to satisfy the answer to the question, "What does it say?"  Before any cards are passed out, the strategic teacher will say, "Pick two for me to read and enjoy the pictures on the cards.  The homework assignment is fun tonight.  Read the other cards with an adult." I was fortunate enough to come across the website called, Mycutegraphics.com.  Laura Strickland has created tons of adorable graphics.  At the present time, she is offering her graphics free of charge for teachers to use.  Her only condition is that her terms of use are followed.  I like using the animal graphics because they tend to be gender neutral.  Additionally, children all over the planet enjoy animals and creatures.  It was too much fun creating new Valentine's Day cards this year using her graphics.  I thought up a few silly puns to go with the images.  For the text, I used a font from Fonts4Teachers.  I made the cards with both the color and black and white graphics.  Since I don't always have access to a color printer, I wanted to have the black and white set as a back-up.
 I would like to share some of my cards with you!  Click the picture of the heart at the end of this post to pick up four from my set.  Here are a few directions about assembling the cards.  It's super easy!  After printing, fold in half as shown in the second picture below. 

This is what one of the four freebies looks like minus the red frame.

This is how it should look after the first fold.


Then fold again so the picture is on the front.

Here's the card after the second and final fold.
  No scissors needed!  Oh so easy!

Write the address on the backs of the cards.

Address the cards on the backs before you tape the treats inside.

    Tape a treat on the inside of the cards.

They'll love to find a treat inside the card!

 Click the heart below to download the free samples.
Click the heart above to download the free samples

Touch the picture displayed below to find out more about this product at my Teachers pay Teachers store.  I created 16 different colored graphic cards and 15 cards that will print with black ink.  The picture below shows some of the cards that require color ink. 

Lessons by Molly © 2013  All rights reserved.

6 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! I need to pin those for next year. =)

    I am happy to be your newest follower. If you get the chance, I would love for you to hop over and visit me. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for offering to pin them next year. I had fun making the Valentine's Day cards and got a few giggles out of them myself.

      Delete
  2. "Pick two for me to read and enjoy the pictures on the cards. The homework assignment is fun tonight. Read the other cards with an adult."
    I love, love, love this! Totally going to use it next year! I teach 1st grade and the kids can read many of the words by then, but they still need lots of practice time! What a fun way to make their reading homework fun. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa. I found that I could not read every Valentine card in the classroom! This system made things much easier.

      Delete
  3. BTW, the Valentine's cards you created are super cute. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Melissa. I have to give Laura Strickland all the credit. Her graphics are fabulous and they are what made these Valentine cards so cute.

      Delete